Sunday 5 February 2012

Daniel X: Watch the Skies


Actually, I haven't finished reading this book yet. However, I will be able to give some description of the book because I'm already halfway through.

If I have to categorise this book, I will categorise it as a sci-fi and maybe fantasy. It is a book about a boy (I am not sure he's human) whose job is to hunt for criminal aliens. I think calling him an interstellar police would not be unsuitable. There are several books in the Daniel X universe but I do not think that this is the first one.

The author is James Patterson and I am not familiar with his work, although his name is very familiar. Perhaps I should google him but I'll do that when I have the time. The target audience for the book is children or young teenagers. The main character is a teenage boy and the language used is simple enough, although sometimes I find it to be overly descriptive. Not enough of "Show! Don't tell". Sometimes, it feels like I am reading a manual or something that is written by a teenager or an inexperienced writer. Perhaps I should also find out who Ned Rust is and whether he is a teenager?

I don't mean to say that this book is bad. In fact, I am really enjoying the book. I think the authors have the target audience on their mind when they are writing. The story is fun but it could be even better if it's told in a different way. The main reason for me to like this book is that it portrays Daniel, the main character, very well and you could really emphatise with him. I got a sense that although Daniel is blessed with special powers, he is still a lonely boy who doesn't really fit in with the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment